- Have you ever wished you could get a better read on the green while putting?
- Have you ever wished to increase your batting average?
- Ever wished you could get a better read on the tennis ball?
- Ever wished you could see more openings when running the football down the field?
If so, Sports Vision Training may be the solution!
What is Sports Vision Training?
Sports Vision Training is an advanced science being used by college and professional athletes alike. Sports vision training works to improve the visual abilities of an athlete, with respect to his or her individual sport. The human Visual System is the complex relationship between the eyes and the brain. In sports, the focus of training is in the following areas: Eye Alignment, Focusing, Eye Teaming/Tracking, Fusion, Peripheral Vision and Dynamic Vision, Contrast Vision and Visualization. Each one of these areas can be trained, to be stronger, sharper, and quicker, just like lifting weights does for improving strength.
What this means to you is better visual skills:
- Eye-Hand Coordination – the ability to more accurately use your eyes to direct the movements of our hands/body therefore increasing reaction time.
- Dynamic Visual Acuity – acuity while object is in motion
- Contrast Vision – sharpness of vision in a variety of lighting conditions
- Tracking of objects in motion – increased ability to “keep your eye on the ball”
- Increased peripheral vision – increased ability to see things “out of the corner of your eye”
- Visualization – the ability to see an object in motion and anticipate where it will be even before the object gets there
- Increased awareness of depth perception – the ability to quickly judge the distance and speed of an object (baseball, tennis ball, etc)
- Stronger focusing – this is the ability to change focus from one object to another in a quick and concise manner
Research shows that over 80% of what we learn comes from the visual system/what and how we see things. That percentage is even higher for athletes. Keep in mind, the eye gives the first signals to the brain to move the body.
We hope you have found this information helpful. If you desire to take your game to the next level then consider sports vision training and call our office to schedule an evaluation. You can also email Dr. Walley with questions at firstname.lastname@example.org
How much does it cost?
Sports vision screening- $100 This is the standard screening that we do on all of our athletes using our M&S Technology Sports Vision Performance software. All areas of sports vision are tested with this software and the athlete is given a printout of his or her results compared to a database of thousands of professional athletes. This screening does not include any therapy but provides insight into what specific areas you may need to work on. If you are involved in a sport that puts you at risk for a concussion this screening provides us a good baseline to work with if you ever suffer a concussion. Most athletes who suffer from a concussion have a decrease in their visual skills after the concussion. This screening can be used to determine when it is time for the athlete to get back on the field. It can also be used to identify visual areas that need to be improved before the athlete can get back onto the field.
Sports Vision Therapy (45 minute session)-$100. Our Collierville optometrist generally recommends 6-12 sessions based on the needs of the athlete. The first few sessions are visual system warmup sessions where we will work on improving basic visual skills such as eye teaming, eye tracking, and depth perception. After completing the visual skills warmup we will move into sports specific therapy for as long as the athlete and doctor feel is necessary but generally 6 weeks.
Some athletes do better when they work with a friend or teammate because it introduces a little competition to the training. If this is desired the cost per athlete per session is reduced to $50.
If you have more questions about any of these services call us at 901-853-8180 or email us at email@example.com